Photo credit: Joel Sutherland/Unsplash stock photos
If you are traveling to Disney with Tweens and Teens and wondering what are the best things to do at Disney World, you will love this list. I have first-hand experience and can tell you, without a doubt, Disney World isn't just for little kids.
There are so many cool things Teens and Tweens will love at Disney World, it is a MUST-DO on your Orlando itinerary for your family vacation.
Here's how I know. When I was graduating from high school, my parents took my sister and me on a family vacation to Disney. Now, we are a Disney family. So any Disney vacation is magical in our book.
But what I didn't realize is how many cool and unique things there are to do that Tweens and Teens will love. Like I always say, there is something for every age and stage at Disney World, and kids literally grow WITH Disney.
Here are the very best things to do at Disney World with the Tween and Teen set.
This post contains affiliate links which means I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you should you make a purchase using this link. See my disclaimer.
Why Take Teens And Tweens To Walt Disney World Resort
Here's the thing. There is no “perfect age” for Walt Disney World. In fact, I would argue every age is the BEST AGE because Disney literally grows WITH the family.
No Disney vacation is ever the same, because each age and stage is a new experience. There are new attractions to ride, new restaurants to try, and your kids' interests change as they get older.
Take it from someone who has been to Walt Disney World Resort close to 100 times and was a Cast Member! For each age and stage of kids, Disney World offers something different.
First trip to Disney or need some expert tips? Check out my Walt Disney Resort For Beginners: A Complete Guide To Plan A Disney Vacation for my ultimate planning tips!
Tips For Taking Tweens and Teens To Walt Disney World
- Tweens and teens will enjoy most of what the younger kids enjoy. But, they will also enjoy more thrill ride adventures and longer shows.
- With more stamina, tweens and teens can enjoy longer days from morning to night, staying from the opening of parks to closing.
- Tweens and teens will love the Extra Magic Hours in the morning and late at night.
- Disney Genie+ and Lightning Lane services will help your tweens and teens ride their favorite rides without spending time in queues. (More on this later in the article.)
- Park Hopper passes would work well with this age group because they can manage a long day and be flexible.
- Tweens and teens are the most likely age group to have a phone while at Walt Disney World Resort (next to adults, of course.) They will love to use the Play Disney Parks app, and can separate and meet up at a designated place. BVWK Tip: Walt Disney World Resort has several portable phone charging system kiosks on property.
- Remember that even though you are visiting Disney with teens, you can spend off-park days exploring some of the other awesome things to do in Florida. Many are a short drive from Orlando.
- When in doubt? Shop! Most Teens and Tweens LOVE to shop and Disney offers so many awesome shopping opportunities. They have some of the best Disney souvenirs at DisneySprings, but definitely also check out the shops in each of the theme parks. Some of them carry items unique to that park.
The Very Best Things To Do At Disney World With Tweens And Teens
So now you know tweens and teens will love a vacation to Walt Disney World. Let's talk about the very best things to do at Disney World for this age group.
Behind The Scenes Tours
Special Guided Access Tours can be interesting and educational. Not only will this age be inspired by the work of the Imagineers in terms of design, science, technology, creativity, and thought that goes into each of the parks. But you get to see how the magic is made.
We attended the Backstage Tales tour and learned about how the animals at Animal Kingdom park are cared for, what they are fed, and all that goes into caring for them. It was a very interesting and educational experience.
Tours vary in the theme, including:
- Backstage Magic – behind the scenes of the art and technology that goes into the theme parks.
- Ultimate Day Of Thrills VIP Tour – a VIP tour of the most exhilarating attractions at Walt Disney World theme parks
- Ultimate Nights Of Adventure VIP Tour – enjoy exhilarating attractions and experiences in Disney's Animal Kingdom Park
- Wild Africa Trek – Privately guided VIP exploration of wild animals up close
- Backstage Tales – A backstage tour to see behind the scenes and how Disney Cast Members tend to the 1500 animals in the park
If you are missing Disney and looking for a little Pixie Dust to be sprinkled over your castle, check out the Mickey Monthly Disney Subscription Box! This monthly magic in a box for Disney fans of all ages is like getting your keys to the Kingdom in between Disney trips! It's also a great way to surprise and delight your little Mouseketeers with their favorites from the Disney theme parks.
Walt Disney World Water Parks
What tween or teen doesn't love an awesome water park? Disney's two water parks are a great way to spend the day cooling down and enjoying the thrills of the slides and wave pools.
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Themed like you are on a tropical vacation, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park is full of splashing entertainment tweens and teens will love. In addition to the wave pool, there are so many waterslides and activities to keep them happy. Some favorites include:
- Humunga Cowabunga
- Crush ‘n' Gusher
- Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool
- Castaway Creek for some lazy river time
Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park
Don't be fooled by the name. Though it is winter themed, the only thing cool at this water park is all of the fun tweens and teens will have. Some of the best things to do at this Disney World water park include:
- Downhill Double Dipper
- Summit Plummet
- Slush Gusher
- Toboggan Racers
- Melt Away Bay Wave Pool
Disney's Theme Parks And Thrill Rides
Tweens and teens can of course enjoy any of the best Disney World rides for toddlers and attractions for school-age kids. These rides are really suitable for all ages.
But tweens and teens do love a bit of a thrill, and these are great add ons for this age group. In fact, some of these are STILL my favorite rides since I was a teenager!
Best Thrill Rides In Epcot For Tweens and Teens
- Test Track
- Mission Space (Green or Orange Mission)
Best Thrill Rides In Magic Kingdom For Tweens and Teens
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Big Thunder Railroad
Best Thrill Rides In Hollywood Studios For Tweens And Teens
- Rock ‘n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Star Wars: Rise Of The Resistance
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
- Slinky Dog Dash
Best Thrill Rides In Animal Kingdom For Tweens and Teens
- Expedition Everest
- Avatar Flight Of Passage
- Kali River Rapids
Play Disney Parks App
Tweens and teens will love the chance to play several interactive games throughout the theme parks on their own phones. It is a great way to keep them busy if they are waiting in line or just to add some additional magic to their Disney vacation!
Disney Springs is an ideal spot during your Orlando Itinerary with tweens and teens! They will love the collection of activities, entertainment, shopping, and dining at Disney Springs.
It also has some of the best indoor things to do with kids in Orlando, including Splitsville Luxury Lanes bowling alley and M & Ms World. These will come in handy on rainy or super hot days in Orlando.
But whether it is to pick up some of the latest Disney fashions or Disney souvenirs, or dine at a fun thematic restaurant, there is much to make a full day or evening out of a trip to Disney Springs.
For that sweet tooth, don't miss the cupcake ATM (yes, it's a real thing) at Sprinkles. Some of the best things to do at Disney World's Disney Springs include:
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes
- M & Ms World
- AMC Movies at Disney Springs
- Amphicar Ride
- Hot Air Balloon Ride
Need more ideas on the best things to do at Disney World with Teens and Tweens?
Sometimes getting OFF Disney property for a bit is fun for teens too! Check out 20 of the best things you can do on International Drive in Orlando (not far from Disney property!)
Tips for Enjoying Disney with Teens and Tweens
As you plan to visit Disney with Tweens or Teens, there are some tips you need to know to get the most out of your trip.
Take Advantage of Disney Genie, Disney Genie+, and Lightning Lane Services
If you are like me and were a little disappointed when Disney removed the Fast Pass system, I have good news for you! Disney has introduced something even better! That is right, Disney has blessed us with Disney Genie, Disney Genie+, and Lightning services which you can find in the My Disney Experience App.
With these new services, planning a Disney trip with your tweens or teens will be so much easier. These services will help you create a personalized itinerary depending on what you and your teens are interested in. I call them my new favorite Disney tour guide; think of them as your “genie-p-s” here to help you navigate the parks seamlessly.
However, since they are a bit similar but still unique, some people find them confusing! But since you are here, I will explain in detail how each feature works.
How Disney Genie works
This is one feature you should use by all means since it is FREE! What Disney Genie does is to design a personalized itinerary depending on the attractions or themes you and your tweens or teens select within your “My Disney Experience App.” It can be as specific as the Big Thunder Railroad ride or a general theme like thrill rides.
And during your visit, Genie will keep suggesting other interesting attractions based on what you selected earlier.
It gets even better! On top of the personalized itinerary, Genie goes ahead to show you the estimated wait time for each attraction so that you decide when it's most appropriate to go to that particular attraction. It doesn't get any easier to navigate Disney than this!
Disney Genie + Service
If you're already impressed by Genie, wait until you hear what Disney Genie + Service can do.
In addition to what Disney Genie does, Genie+ does much more! It saves you time which your tweens or teens can use to enjoy other attractions.
With Genie, you can only know the wait times for each attraction, but Genie+ gives you the option of booking the next arrival window to over 40 attractions in all the Walt Disney World theme parks for the new Lightning Lane entrances so that you arrive just in time to get on the ride. How cool is that?
Of course, it doesn't come free as you'd need to pay $15 for each individual per day, but the idea of literally skipping the lines in Disney is so worth it.
Besides that, you'll have access to Disney PhotoPass Lenses and Audio Tales with the Disney Genie+ service.
Not sure what they are? Disney PhotoPass Lenses will enable you and your teens to watch impressive augmented reality effects, while Audio Tales will give you behind-the-scenes insights that you can listen to on your phone throughout the day.
A Quick Overview of How Disney Genie+ Works
Agreed, all this is exciting, but there is a catch I think you should know before you go.
While you can pre-book arrival windows for some attractions, this can only be done for one attraction at a time from 7 am on the day of your visit.
When you visit that particular attraction or if your pre-booked window passes, that's when you can book another arrival window. Then the cycle goes on throughout the day, just like the old Fast Pass system if you used to use it.
Lightning Lane Service
I know I said earlier that I love Genie+, but Lightning Lane Service is my favorite feature so far, and I know your tweens or teens will love it too.
With the ability to have fast entry to 2 attractions per day with no queues, no feature is as cool as the Lightning Lane Service.
However, I know some people confuse it with Genie+, so I'll explain how different they are and how it works.
A Quick Overview of How Lightning Lane Service works
The first thing you need to know about Lightning Lane Service is that it's an independent feature or an add-on! This means that even if you don't pay for Genie+ and just use Genie, you can still take advantage of Lightning Lane Service. But, even if you pay the $15 for Genie+, you'll still need to pay for the Lightning Lane service separately.
However, it doesn't work at all attractions but at select ones and only the most popular. You can check out the participating attractions here.
When it comes to how much to pay for Lightning Lane, it varies, unlike Genie+ which has a fixed amount.
The price varies depending on the time of the year, the specific attraction you want to use it for, but you'll be able to know the exact amount when you select the specific attraction on the day of your visit.
Another important thing to know about Lightning Lane service is that you can only use it for an attraction once. Let's say your tween uses it for Haunted Mansion the first time and they enjoy it so much that they want to ride it again! Unfortunately, they'll have to queue normally the second time.
Dine in Space with your Teens or Tweens at the Newly Opened Epcot's Space 220 Restaurant
This is the age when most kids start getting obsessed with Space and stars. If your teens or tweens are die-hard fans of Star Wars or any space-themed movie, then they will thank you for taking them to space 220 restaurant.
This is not just another Ol' restaurant! It is a place that offers much more than just a dining place but rather a glimpse into Space! And you thought Disney couldn't get any more magical!
Your teens or tweens will officially get bragging rights about visiting Space because Disney has made Space accessible to anyone in EPCOT.
Once you arrive, you'll board a special elevator and ascend through the stars; no doubt, this will be the highlight of any teen or tween. What is even more exciting is that Space 220 gives both daytime and nighttime views of the earth (EPCOT in this case).
When you finish taking in all the wonders of Space, gorge on the delicious space-themed meals carefully created by professional chefs but leave some space for dessert because there is plenty of that too.
Now, I know some people may want to just come to dine at the restaurant without actually visiting the park, but this is not possible. You will need to purchase the park tickets to have access!
For such a once-in-a-life experience, you can be sure that many people would like to experience it, so be sure to make a reservation in time not to miss out on this incredible experience.
Get Your Teens or Tweens Ready for the 50th Anniversary Celebration
If you haven't heard, Disney is turning 50 years and, boy, they know how to throw a party! With an 18-month long celebration, no anniversary party will ever be as epic as this one, and you can be sure your kids will enjoy celebrating with their favorite characters.
Speaking of characters, during the anniversary celebration, Disney will unveil new looks for Mickey and his friends!
But there is more than just this; you can expect enchanting night spectacles, exciting performances from cast members, and new attractions that will make the Disney experience even much more magical for your tweens and teens.
The best part is that the celebrations will be happening in all the 4 parks so regardless of where you go, you'll be right in the middle of the party.
To give you a glimpse of what you can expect during this magical time, below is a breakdown of some new features, attractions, and entertainment!
- Remy's Ratatouille Adventure: Based on the hit movie Ratatouille and a replica of the one in Disneyland Paris, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure is the newest best ride in EPCOT. The ride tells the story of Remy in his quest to make the perfect Ratatouille dish and win points among critics. Your teens or tweens will enjoy the idea of being compressed into a size of a rat using 4D technology as they follow Remy's story. Be sure to watch the movie before you go; I promise, it is much more relatable.
- Disney Enchantment: Night spectacles are taking on a new form in Disney and you wouldn't want to miss any of the magical fireworks, catchy Disney songs, or the impressive projections! Your teens will feel all the magic Magic Kingdom has to offer.
- Harmonious: Let your tweens or teens dance to the catchy Disney songs and listen to beautiful Disney stories as they enjoy this night spectacle at EPCOT.
- Disney Kite Tails: There is something new at Disney's Animal Kingdom! Your tweens will love watching imaginary characters soaring through the sky as they listen to Disney songs.
- Fab 50 Color Collection: It is certainly not 50 years if you don't have 50 gold statues spread all around and that is exactly what Disney did. You'll be able to find all these interactive statues throughout the 4 parks.
- Delicious Treats: Nothing says 50 years than new additions of delicious food and restaurants. You can grab breakfast, lunch, or dinner at Steakhouse 71, California Grill, Space 220, or La Crêperie de Paris. *Note: The Disney Dining Plan has not yet returned. But they are coming back sometime soon, according to the Walt Disney World website.
- Beacons of Magic: As the name suggests, it is all about magic! Each of the park's icons will light up in bright colors at night. This is however nightly in specific parks so you'll need to check which park's icons will light up the day you plan to visit.
- Magic Kingdom 50th Fireworks Dessert Parties: Your kids will be able to eat all the desserts they can while enjoying a beautiful display of fireworks.
- MagicBand+: To replace Magic bands, Disney has introduced MagicBand+, which comes with more cool features. In addition to the features of the Magic Bands, with MagicBand +, your kids will be able to interact with the 50 golden statues I mentioned earlier and uncover virtual bounties in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. On top of that, the MagicBand+ syncs well with the colors of the fireworks, which is pretty exciting.
These are some of the new attractions and entertainment you can look forward to as you celebrate 50 magical years of Disney.
Final Thought On The Best Things To Do At Disney World With Tweens and Teens
There are so many fun, educational, unique, and yes, COOL things to do at Walt Disney World Resort. There is truly something for every age. Even tweens and teens can enjoy the magic!
Like This Post? Please Share It! You Might Also Like These!
Our Disney World Cost Calculator: Our Real Costs and Tips For Disney On A Budget
50 Things To Do With Kids in Orlando
The Ultimate Lockers at Universal Studios Guide!
Guide To Universal vs Disney World: Similarities and Differences
Ooh, La La! 15+ Visiting Tips for Disneyland Paris You’ll Be Glad You Know
Is The Disney Vacation Club Worth It? All You Need To Know
21 Expert Tips For Visiting Disneyland With Toddlers, Preschoolers, and Babies!
The Absolutely Very Best Shoes For Disney World
25+ Best Things To Do On Anna Maria Island For Families
Walt Disney Resort For Beginners: A Complete Guide To Plan A Disney Vacation
Disney World 2023: What You Need To Know Before Visiting Walt Disney World This Year
9 Ways To Celebrate Easter At Disney World
The 17 Best Disney World Rides For Multigenerational Families
The Best Disney World Rides For Preschool To School-Aged Kids
The Best Disney World Rides For Toddlers
18 Expert Tips For Visiting Walt Disney World With A Toddler or A Baby
DVC Aulani: All You Need To Know About Disney's Hawaii Hotel
Travel Subscription Boxes Kids Will Love
11 Tips For Road Trips With Kids You'll Be Happy You Know