Photo credit: Joel Sutherland/Unsplash stock photos
If you are traveling to Disney with Tweens and Teens and wondering what are the best things to do at Disney World, you will love this list. I have first-hand experience and can tell you, without a doubt, Disney World isn't just for little kids.
Here's how I know. When I was graduating from high school, my parents took my sister and me on a family vacation to Disney. Now, we are a Disney family. So any Disney vacation is magical in our book.
But what I didn't realize is how many cool and unique things there are to do that Tweens and Teens will love. Like I always say, there is something for every age and stage at Disney World, and kids literally grow WITH Disney.
Here are the very best things to do at Disney World with the Tween and Teen set.
This post contains affiliate links which means I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you should you make a purchase using this link. See my disclaimer.
Why Take Teens And Tweens To Walt Disney World Resort
Here's the thing. There is no “perfect age” for Walt Disney World. In fact, I would argue every age is the BEST AGE because Disney literally grows WITH the family.
No Disney vacation is ever the same, because each age and stage is a new experience. There are new attractions to ride, new restaurants to try, and your kids' interests change as they get older.
Take it from someone who has been to Walt Disney World Resort close to 100 times and was a Cast Member! For each age and stage of kids, Disney World offers something different.
First trip to Disney or need some expert tips? Check out my Walt Disney Resort For Beginners: A Complete Guide To Plan A Disney Vacation for my ultimate planning tips!
Tips For Taking Tweens and Teens To Walt Disney World
- Tweens and teens will enjoy most of what the younger kids enjoy. But, they will also enjoy more thrill ride adventures and longer shows.
- With more stamina, tweens and teens can enjoy longer days from morning to night, staying from the opening of parks to closing.
- Tweens and teens will love the Extra Magic Hours in the morning and late at night.
- Park Hopper passes would work well with this age group because they can manage a long day and be flexible.
- Tweens and teens are the most likely age group to have a phone while at Walt Disney World Resort (next to adults, of course.) They will love to use the Play Disney Parks app, and can separate and meet up at a designated place. BVWK Tip: Walt Disney World Resort has several portable phone charging system kiosks on property.
- Remember that even though you are visiting Disney with teens, you can spend off-park days exploring some of the other awesome things to do in Florida. Many are a short drive from Orlando.
- When in doubt? Shop! Most Teens and Tweens LOVE to shop and Disney offers so many awesome shopping opportunities. They have some of the best Disney souvenirs at DisneySprings, but definitely also check out the shops in each of the theme parks. Some of them carry items unique to that park.
The Very Best Things To Do At Disney World With Tweens And Teens
So now you know tweens and teens will love a vacation to Walt Disney World. Let's talk about the very best things to do at Disney World for this age group.
Behind The Scenes Tours
Special Guided Access Tours can be interesting and educational. Not only will this age be inspired by the work of the Imagineers in terms of design, science, technology, creativity, and thought that goes into each of the parks. But you get to see how the magic is made.
We attended the Backstage Tales tour and learned about how the animals at Animal Kingdom park are cared for, what they are fed, and all that goes into caring for them. It was a very interesting and educational experience.
Tours vary in the theme, including:
- Backstage Magic – behind the scenes of the art and technology that goes into the theme parks.
- Ultimate Day Of Thrills VIP Tour – a VIP tour of the most exhilarating attractions at Walt Disney World theme parks
- Ultimate Nights Of Adventure VIP Tour – enjoy exhilarating attractions and experiences in Disney's Animal Kingdom Park
- Wild Africa Trek – Privately guided VIP exploration of wild animals up close
- Backstage Tales – A backstage tour to see behind the scenes and how Disney Cast Members tend to the 1500 animals in the park
Walt Disney World Water Parks
What tween or teen doesn't love an awesome water park? Disney's two water parks are a great way to spend the day cooling down and enjoying the thrills of the slides and wave pools.
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Themed like you are on a tropical vacation, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park is full of splashing entertainment tweens and teens will love. In addition to the wave pool, there are so many waterslides and activities to keep them happy. Some favorites include:
- Humunga Cowabunga
- Crush ‘n' Gusher
- Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool
- Castaway Creek for some lazy river time
Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park
Don't be fooled by the name. Though it is winter themed, the only thing cool at this water park is all of the fun tweens and teens will have. Some of the best things to do at this Disney World water park include:
- Downhill Double Dipper
- Summit Plummet
- Slush Gusher
- Toboggan Racers
- Melt Away Bay Wave Pool
Disney's Theme Parks And Thrill Rides
But tweens and teens do love a bit of a thrill, and these are great add ons for this age group. In fact, some of these are STILL my favorite rides since I was a teenager!
Best Thrill Rides In Epcot For Tweens and Teens
- Test Track
- Mission Space (Green or Orange Mission)
Best Thrill Rides In Magic Kingdom For Tweens and Teens
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Big Thunder Railroad
Best Thrill Rides In Hollywood Studios For Tweens And Teens
- Rock ‘n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Star Wars: Rise Of The Resistance
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
- Slinky Dog Dash
Best Thrill Rides In Animal Kingdom For Tweens and Teens
- Expedition Everest
- Avatar Flight Of Passage
- Kali River Rapids
Play Disney Parks App
Tweens and teens will love the chance to play several interactive games throughout the theme parks on their own phones. It is a great way to keep them busy if they are waiting in line or just to add some additional magic to their Disney vacation!
Disney Springs is an ideal spot during your Orlando itinerary with tweens and teens! They will love the collection of activities, entertainment, shopping, and dining at Disney Springs.
It also has some of the best indoor things to do with kids in Orlando, including Splitsville Luxury Lanes bowling alley and M & Ms World. These will come in handy on rainy or super hot days in Orlando.
But whether it is to pick up some of the latest fashions or Disney souvenirs, or dine at a fun thematic restaurant, there is much to make a full day or evening out of a trip to Disney Springs.
For that sweet tooth, don't miss the cupcake ATM (yes, it's a real thing) at Sprinkles. Some of the best things to do at Disney World's Disney Springs include:
- NBA Experience
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes
- M & Ms World
- AMC Movies at Disney Springs
- Amphicar Ride
- Hot Air Balloon Ride
Need more ideas on the best things to do at Disney World with Teens and Tweens?
Sometimes getting OFF Disney property for a bit is fun for teens too! Check out 20 of the best things you can do on International Drive in Orlando (not far from Disney property!)
Final Thought On The Best Things To Do At Disney World With Tweens and Teens
There are so many fun, educational, unique, and yes, COOL things to do at Walt Disney World Resort. There is truly something for every age. Even tweens and teens can enjoy the magic!